Problem with automatic booting of Murus

Murus
miamikel

Problem with automatic booting of Murus

Post by miamikel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi

I need some help in regards of the boot script.
I tried to install the boot script but its not working.
I am using Yosemite v.10.10.2.

After installation of the boot script and reboot I still need to start Murus manually after boot of my iMac.
Any ideas how I could solve that?

Thanks in advance ;)

Regards

Michael

hany

Re: Problem with automatic booting of Murus

Post by hany » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:42 pm

This problem usually arises when PF is not able to load your ruleset at boot because of a wrong rule or a missing interface.
Please check twice your custom rules. However the best way to troubleshoot this issue is trying a plain-default Murus configuration, and see if it runs at boot. To restore a default configuration use "Firewall" menu.

miamikel

Post by miamikel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi Hany

Sorry, but I am know a bit confused.
So I done the default Murus configuration reset:

OUTBOUND INBOUND
All Services (Green) Basic Services (Orange)
Dynamic Ports (Orange)

But I still have the Problem with the GUI.
If I reboot the iMac the MURUS GUI ist not running.
If I open the MURUS GUI an authentication window appears: "MurusLoader wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this."
So know my questions:
(1) So PF (Firewall) rules are running with or without GUI, is that right? Because its the OS-X internal firewall ...? But why I need then the MURUS Boot Script ...?
(2) If I start the GUI, why I get that Login Window and what kind of changes is that GUI doing??
(3) If I close the MURUS GUI, that means NOT that the firewall rules who I have set with the GUI are NOT active?
(4) If I stop the firewall in that MURUS GUI, the backend OS-X PF Firewall is stopped and if I close the MURUS GUI at that moment the OS-X PF Firewall is still stopped? But after reboot enabled again?? Because the PF Firewall is as OS-X default every time after reboot running??
(5) Is it possible to see the status of the PF Firewall without MURUS GUI or is in the future maybe a a bottom in the Top-Bar available who shows the status of PF Firewall ... maybe in a future version of MURUS ... ;)
(6) IF I use the MURUS GUI and drag and drop a new rule, why I need to stop and start the firewall (restart) in the GUI to get that new rules activated? Is there maybe a possibility to have one restart button for example in a future upgrade of MURUS GUI...?? ;)

I know a lot of questions, sorry for that but I love your product and like to understand how it works and if possible an increase future usability ;))

Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers

Michael

hany

Post by hany » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:32 am

If I reboot the iMac the MURUS GUI ist not running.
are you running other firewalls or server.app?
If I open the MURUS GUI an authentication window appears: "MurusLoader wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this."
So know my questions:
(1) So PF (Firewall) rules are running with or without GUI, is that right? Because its the OS-X internal firewall ...? But why I need then the MURUS Boot Script ...?
PF runs independently from Murus. "Murus Boot Scripts" is the name given to bash scripts needed to start PF at boot, to enable interface forwarding and to start the logging system.
(2) If I start the GUI, why I get that Login Window and what kind of changes is that GUI doing??
Murus needs to be root in order to work because it is a front end for pf, and pf can be administered only by root. It creates its own set of files in /etc/murus, and tells pf to load its configuration from there.

(3) If I close the MURUS GUI, that means NOT that the firewall rules who I have set with the GUI are NOT active?
PF runtime rules are independent from Murus being running or not. If pf is active and you quit Murus, then pf will stay active with the same rules.

(4) If I stop the firewall in that MURUS GUI, the backend OS-X PF Firewall is stopped and if I close the MURUS GUI at that moment the OS-X PF Firewall is still stopped?

yes
But after reboot enabled again??
only if boot scripts are installed.
(5) Is it possible to see the status of the PF Firewall without MURUS GUI
shell command

Code: Select all

sudo pfctl -si
or is in the future maybe a a bottom in the Top-Bar available who shows the status of PF Firewall ... maybe in a future version of MURUS ... ;)
May be ;)
(6) IF I use the MURUS GUI and drag and drop a new rule, why I need to stop and start the firewall (restart) in the GUI to get that new rules activated?
you don't need to "stop and start". You just need to click "Start". This does not stop the firewall, it just reloads its configuration. This is how pf works :)
Is there maybe a possibility to have one restart button for example in a future upgrade of MURUS GUI...?? ;)
being there since June 3 2014 ;)

guyprotection

Post by guyprotection » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 am

miamikel wrote:Hi

I need some help in regards of the boot script.
I am using Yosemite v.10.10.2.

After installation of the boot script and reboot I still need to start Murus manually after boot of my iMac.
Any ideas how I could solve that?

Thanks in advance ;)

Regards

Michael

same problem here

hany

Post by hany » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 am

please provide some more information about you network configuration, system version, and such.
Ideally you should try to install (and test) boot scripts using a plain default Murus configuration (you can restore it from "Firewall" menu).
If you run Server.app it is important to turn off its firewall.

wighta157

Post by wighta157 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:15 pm

For a visual indication of PF status, I suggest you try the new beta Menulet app, <http://murusfirewall.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237>.

OptimumParanoia

Post by OptimumParanoia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 pm

First post here but want to say that I'm enjoying Murus Pro and Vallum so far and know they're working well. I am having the same issue as described here. When I startup my computer the boot rules/background packet filtering is happening but I am always asked for a password to startup the Murus Pro interface. Menulet and Visualizer both are operating and showing that everything is working but I'd like to be able to see the main Murus options without entering an administrator passsword. I''m running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 and have the latest version of everything installed but was also getting this same issue in previous updates.

Is there any way to not have to enter my password in? I also am wondering if it's normal to see the executable image/terminal looking graphic instead of a Murus logo with the lock image on the passsword entry pop up.