Murus hanging on open after configuration

Murus
crazyc

Murus hanging on open after configuration

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:55 am

I purchased Murus Pro yesterday after checking out the Lite version. My goal is/was to setup a home router with my Mac Pro. I have not had any problems with the firewall config. At first I was having issues getting services to forward correctly to NAT clients, but I hadn't allowed access for "everyone" on inbound for ports being forwarded. Once I did that everything is working.

So on to the problem I have. I went through this whole configuration last night and got to the same point. All working. I quit murus. Everything still working as it should since the PF is configured in the OS. Then I go back to change something and open Murus. It just sits there with the spinner. Never progresses any further. Status says not responding and I have to force quit.

I tried opening it a couple times today and gave up. I totally uninstalled everything. Per the manual, I went through and removed all config files and .plist files as well as the .app file. Stopped the firewall. Rebooted and verified it was stopped.

Started over and re-installed. Started config from scratch, setup the basic firewall, turned on NAT/sharing. Everything working fine. Added some services to forward for specific hosts. All still working fine. So I quit Murus. I immediately go back to open it and the same thing happens. It's just hanging at the main window.

Luckily everything is configured for the moment, but I'm sure I'll have to tweak something soon as I haven't tested every service. I'm assuming there's a bug, but I don't know what it is at this point.

hany

Re: Murus hanging on open after configuration

Post by hany » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:52 pm

We never experienced this bug.
I assume you are running OS X on an original Apple Mac booting from a directly connected harddisk/ssd.
I also assume you are NOT running a virtualized OS X.

You should try repairing your disk and privileges (of the boot volume) using Disk Utility. It worked in the past to fix Murus strange behaviors for at least two customers. So it's worth a try.

So we kindly ask you to do this procedure in order to troubleshoot your issue:

1) uninstall murus from it's menu bar (no need to manually delete all files, just use this menu item) then reboot, then fix permissions and disk using Disk Utility app, then reboot, then open Murus.
2) First of all try with a default configuration. Once you run Murus for the first time just click "Start", save boot scripts, close Murus and reboot.
3) after boot open Murus.
4) change something: for example add a service to inbound services, and set a random access policy. Make only one small change. Click Start.
5) close Murus and reopen Murus. See if it works.
6) now configure Murus with YOUR configuration, with NAT and everything. DO NOT import a configuration file!! create it manually. DO NOT click Start! Close Murus and reopen Murus to see if it works.
7) now click Start to apply YOUR configuration and quit Murus.
8) reopen Murus and see if it works.
9) reboot and check if Murus works and if the runtime PF ruleset is ok.

Please try this procedure, please do exactly like this :) And tell me if it works or at which point you get the "bug".

If this extremely boring procedure does not fix the issue then we need you to send us your Murus configuration plist, it is the only solution.
File is located in /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist. You can send it as a ZIP attachments to our mail address info@murus.it.

Please also provide some more information about:
- OS X version
- Murus version
- any "strange" OS X configuration: split filesystems, remote home directory or such
- any third party firewall now or previously installed (icefloor/pflists/waterroof/tcpblock/littlesnitch)

We will do our tests immediately after receiving your mail.
Please let me know :)

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm

FIrst,system info....

2009 Mac Pro
Yosemite 10.10.2
Booting off a physical, internal SSD
Entire /root file system on the same SSD
Started with a stock yosemite install, added OS X Server App (4.x).
Installed IceFloor originally (see below)
Installed VMware Fusion (see below)
Installed Dyn DNS Client
No other thirdparty software installed that I can think of. (not at machine)
Onoe more HW item.... lan interface is using a LAG made up of the 2 internal interfaces on the Mac Pro. The WAN side is a Realtek PCIe ethernet card.

I can't see the LAG interface being a cause as everything has been working prior to and the firewall is operating correctly. Only the Murus app is an issue.

IceFloor was previously installed - removed by using icefloor to uninstall boot scripts, and manually removed all conf and .plist files, including anything with hanynet in name. Rebooted and verified no PF running and no icefloor files in Activity Monitor.

The machine IS running VMware Fusion with a separate VM of Mavericks. VM is setup with a bridged network connection on th same interface as the lan side of the NAT. All services on the VM work properly and all port forwards work fine as well. Being that the PF FIrewall is working fine, I can't imagine the VM causing a problem in this instance. I could see how it would be a problem if I was trying t run the firewall and Murus on the VM though.

I will attempt procedures as laid out, however before going through ALL of that. I will stop Murus app (already stopped via force quit), repair permissions and reboot, then relaunch Murus and see. If it's possibly a file permissions problem it's worth attempting the short method before redoing all my rules and services.

Even if I do end up redoing everything. I will copy the services and rules out of the config files so I can at least copy and paste port number and names.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I do have diagnostic report of the hang. I wasn't able to post it last night because of the approval process on posts. Unless I should send that in via the support email address?

hany

Post by hany » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 pm

ok

no problem having vmware running, I just wanted to be sure you are not having problem in a virtualized OSX.
Yes, you can speed up things doing only a disk repair + permission fix (do both) and then a simple reboot.
Of course send us everything you can including crash reports from OS X, screenshot, whatever you want.
In order to reproduce the bug, however, we will need your configuration. I do run a 2009 mp as well, with 10.10.2.

Thank you

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Update....

So it was definitely a permissions problem, however I was unable to get Murus to launch until I manually deleted the configuration files.

I started out with just a permissions repair and had the same result. Murus would just hang on launch.
I then removed the application from the application folder and had the same result.
1 by 1, I started removing config files, until I got to the LaunchDaemons .plist file. That was the last on my list and what allowed Murus to finally open.

At that point, it was a fresh install and asked me to agree to the terms again. (I think it was terms and conditions, right?)

From there I proceed 1 step at a time as instructed and verified Murus would launch each step of the way. I did NOT however, just apply my entire custom configuration at one time. I activated NAT, applied, quit and relaunched. Rebooted and relaunched. I didn't want to apply my whole configuration to find out that it hung Murus app on launch and then had to go back to the beginning and start over. So I added 1 or 2 settings at a time, applied by pressing start and relaunched the app to be sure. When completed, I restarted the computer. And tested again.

Oh, I also did not open my VM until I had the basic firewall running. I activated the NAT while the VM was running. I have closed and reopened the VM a few times, making sure there were no issues.

Everything is working except for one thing.....

I can access services from outside the network on another machine or device with no problem. Access works via Public IP or domain name.
I can access those same services from within the lan using IP or local hostname, but am UNABLE to access them with the domain name for my public IP address. This wouldn't be a major problem except that my laptop is my main computer which is used both inside and outside the lan. I've also setup a database for media shares that uses the domain name so the database is usable from inside or outside the LAN on multiple machines.
So the problems seems to be that form inside my LAN, domain name lookups pointing back to the LAN aren't working. I've looked over the logs and can't seem to find a specific block entry that's preventing it from working.

For example, if I go to host.mydomain.com:port, my browser just hangs if I'm inside the lan. If I go to the same host.mydomain.com:port from the wan side, it works fine. On the LAN side, I can go to IP:port or hostname:port and it works fine.
I know I'm missing something simple. There's a rule that's blocking me or an allow rule that I haven't added.

I should also mention that the Mac running the firewall and NAT is the machine with the local caching DNS server, but it is NOT the local DHCP. My NAS (also on the LAN side) has a running DHCP server on it. I figure if something on my Mac Pro stops working and I have to shut it down, at least most of my LAN side services will work for all LAN clients with the DHCP on a separate machine.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Since my last post I haven't touched anything. I go back to my firewall to check for ports for Steam on a windows pc and now the Murus app is hanging at launch, just like it was before. After EVERY change I made, I double checked that the app would load and had no problems. The very last thing I did was close Murus and double check its launch again. I closed my screensharing window and went on to work on other things on my laptop.

I don't understand what it causing this.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I found this in the system log:

Code: Select all

3/26/15 4:09:06.362 PM Murus[48259]: Scripting addition loading restricted to system domains because this process has mixed credentials (issetugid=1 r/e uid=0/0 gid=20/20)
I'm attaching the diagnostic report from OS X as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hany

Post by hany » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

That's really strange.

3/26/15 4:09:06.362 PM Murus[48259]: Scripting addition loading restricted to system domains because this process has mixed credentials (issetugid=1 r/e uid=0/0 gid=20/20)
This log line is normal.

The hang file you sent me includes hang information for a lot of apps, not only Murus. This also sounds strange to me. It is not clear what happens there.
Can you try the same configuration on another Mac? or maybe another partition on your MacPro? Sounds like there's a problem with your OS X. It can also be a Murus bug, of course, but I really can't do nothing if I'm not able to reproduce it. I need more info :)
Did you enable the Murus auto update?
Are you running Murus from an admin user or a normal user ?
Does it hang before or after asking for admin password?
What happens when Murus hangs on launch? Does it show the gray window, white window, service icons? Active window is the same window that was visible when you quit Murus? Does main Murus window appear in the same exact position where it was before quitting?
Can you please provide me a screenshot of Murus when it hangs?
Have you tried to remove the license? Open the about panel from Murus menu and select 'deserialize'.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 pm

hany wrote:That's really strange.

This log line is normal.

The hang file you sent me includes hang information for a lot of apps, not only Murus. This also sounds strange to me. It is not clear what happens there.
Yes, it's the file that OS X generated. From what I saw, it includes current states for everything running.
hany wrote:Can you try the same configuration on another Mac? or maybe another partition on your MacPro? Sounds like there's a problem with your OS X. It can also be a Murus bug, of course, but I really can't do nothing if I'm not able to reproduce it. I need more info :)
I did say this was a new install. I don't have the time to create another partition with a new install at the moment. I've spent WAY too much time on this already this week. If I can do something over the weekend about that, I'll let you know. I don't have any other Macs with multiple adapters that are available to play with at the moment.

Ok... forget the quote tags.... LOL

Did you enable the Murus auto update? Yes, one of the last things I did
Are you running Murus from an admin user or a normal user ? normal user
Does it hang before or after asking for admin password? after entering password
What happens when Murus hangs on launch? the main window opens (after entering password), shows a gray pain on the bottom and the little OSX spinner just keeps spinning
Does it show the gray window, white window, service icons? gray window, no icons or services. Bottom of window is totally gray.
Active window is the same window that was visible when you quit Murus? Does main Murus window appear in the same exact position where it was before quitting? Active window looks the same, but no service icons at all, all gray, solid box with spinner. Same position and size as when I closed it, but most apps do that.
Can you please provide me a screenshot of Murus when it hangs? when I'm back at my computer, yes.
Have you tried to remove the license? Open the about panel from Murus menu and select 'deserialize'. there is no menu access. Murus is totally locked up and unresponsive. Only action possible is force quite. Other apps still work fine, it's only Murus.