Murus hanging on open after configuration

Murus
hany

Re: Murus hanging on open after configuration

Post by hany » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm afraid the problem arises because of the auto-update thing. And probably it is related with the issues you get with DNS, but this is another topic.
Please do the last uninstall-reinstall with everything but DO NOT check the autoupdate option.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:23 pm

One more piece of information. FIrst, I must have said the wrong file made the difference above. It's in the preferences .plist file.

Just for kicks, I moved the .plist file in the main /Library/Preferences folder. The application launches, asking for me to agree again. I think I'll copy and paste my custom services back into the file and then start re-activating things again and see what happens. I have to do something to get it working or I have to revert my whole network back to the old router setup which involves too many steps to keep switching back and forth. We have 5 computers and numerous phons and tablets arund here that all connect through the same connection.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:23 pm

hany wrote:I'm afraid the problem arises because of the auto-update thing. And probably it is related with the issues you get with DNS, but this is another topic.
Please do the last uninstall-reinstall with everything but DO NOT check the autoupdate option.
Ok, will try. I missed this reply when I post mine yesterday as it started the 2nd page of the message thread and I hadn't clicked on read new, just clicked on the thread link.
I did attempt to change that setting in the preferences file though, when you had asked about it. Not sure why it wouldn't have made a difference by just doing that because I didn't do anything else other than move the settings file and the app loaded, so changing settings manually should have fixed it if that is the problem.
I gave up last night after being too frustrated with another problem I've been working on too. So I will attempt a quick reconfigure today and report back.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:26 pm

I just don't understand this.

So I deleted the preferences files and let the Murus app generate a new one when I launch it.

I then started out slowly again, added basic services for the router Mac Pro.
Added NAT sharing service.
Added a couple services to forward from WAN to LAN.
All working fine, no problems. App closes and reopens fine. No changes to the main preferences (Menu/File/Preferences)
I did not select any extra logging or options for any of the custom services. Just added the ports, accessible by "Everyone" and checked the Forward to NAT and entered the IP.

I go back after a while to check it and..... It hangs the same way again. Firewall and NAT still functioning as they should, just the app is messed up.
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 12.24.17 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hany

Post by hany » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I go back after a while to check it...
I really don't know why it happens.
If you close and reopen the app successfully at a given time, then you should be able to reopen it even "after a while".
I think something happens during this time. It seems like a problem with the OS or a third party app. But I can't tell for sure.

I have a couple new ideas but not much hope, anyway...

1) check if Murus app is inside your /Applications directory and start it from there
2) disable the Unmanaged Ports check (Murus Preferences -> Ports -> uncheck all options)

and let me know.

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:36 pm

I have spent a lot of time with this. I really don't understand how anything with the OS or a third party app can prevent Murus from loading and starting.

I have gone into the preferences files and disabled just about every option manually and it still hangs on launch.

I have manually stopped the firewall with pfctl and restarted it, then reloaded the rules file created by murus. I have verified that indeed everything stops and then restarts. All rules are still active. So the OS side of PF is working the way it should.

When I stop and restart Murus initially, it opens the window instantly, after typing my user password. (SSDs)

Yes, it is running from the Applications folder. I'm a stickler about that kind of thing. I have done everything I can to change minimal things during config. Only what I need to added allowed services and forwarded services.

Again, I can remove the preferences .plist file in /Library/Preferences and then Murus opens up again and works fine.

Somehow something is getting overlooked here. Nothing else on my system should be affecting Murus from loading. What else does the app interact with on load? It opens the verifies the .conf file with the preferences file, it checks open and closed ports on the interfaces, right? Anything else? There has to be something that is changing after the firewall has been running for a while that Murus.app interacts with on launch that is causing it to hang. Would there be a log file generated that it doesn't have permission to view? I can't imagine any permissions of anything changing.

Even when I remove the preference .plist file to get Murus.app to launch, it does not touch the murus.conf file at that time. Not until applying the config. I'm frustrated, but I'm not mad at you... YET.... LOL

hany

Post by hany » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 pm

I really don't understand how anything with the OS or a third party app can prevent Murus from loading and starting
Me too, really.
Again, I can remove the preferences .plist file in /Library/Preferences and then Murus opens up again and works fine.
Ok, this means that the "unmanaged open ports" check is not an issue, because it is active in the default configuration file, which is automatically created when /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist is not found.
What else does the app interact with on load? It opens the verifies the .conf file with the preferences file, it checks open and closed ports on the interfaces, right? Anything else?
1) app gets root privs
2) check if /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist exists. If it's missing then it creates it (copying the default plist from app bundle)
3) load services, groups, natgroups, customrules, and preferences objects definition from /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist
4) checks PF status and (optionally) open ports (every 2 seconds)
Nothing else.

According to your screenshot the app hangs while the grey progress indicator is still spinning (or at least it is visible), and not with a totally empty grey window. This means that Murus is unable to complete its startup procedure.
So we have an option. I will send you a modified version of Murus 1.1.2 in order to debug the startup function, so it will be easier to understand where is the bug.

hany

Post by hany » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Get this Murus 1.1.2 special version. It opens the debug window and prints some useful output. Please make a screenshot of this debug window when app crashes.

http://www.murusfirewall.com/murus-1.1.2debug.zip

ZIP file contains a compressed and pass-protected DMG. Password is "debug".

crazyc

Post by crazyc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 pm

I downloaded it, unzipped, opened dmg, replaced the original murus.app with the debug version. When it hung, I took a screenshot of the main window and debug window. see below.

That's it for me tonight. Been a long week.
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 6.48.19 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hany

Post by hany » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 pm

ok, great, this is very helpful and interesting. I'll try to understand what happens and i will post a new murus beta version very soon to let you make your tests. Take all the time you need, of course, there's no problem :) Thank you for your help! :)