PF Log File Not Found

Murus
jewettg

PF Log File Not Found

Post by jewettg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:41 pm

I am having some difficulty with the logging on my Mac using Murus Firewall. I want to capture blocked incoming attempts. I am a registered user, and attempt to use the MurusLogsVisualizer.app and anytime I choose any of the options, I either get a blank report or the error dialog "PF Log File Not Found".

How do ensure logging is enabled and working, including after reboot? Can I instruct any of the Murus apps to start the logging or review the status of the logging? HELP!

hany

Re: PF Log File Not Found

Post by hany » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm

in order to produce logs you need to:
1) install Murus Boot Scripts in order to activate the pf logging system
2) set up Murus in order to produce some pf logs (this requires you to manually set the "log" option for managed services, for example)
3) wait for connections that match rules with the "log" option

once the first log is produced, log file is created and you can search it using Murus Logs Visualizer or macOS Console.app.
Logging is always enabled and working as long as Murus Boot Scripts are installed (and your Mac has been rebooted at least one time).

jewettg

Post by jewettg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Hany..

I thought it was odd, but the pfloggerd process keeps failing. I noticed even after restart, the pfloggerd daemon would remain running.

SO I launched it manually, sudo /usr/sbin/ipconfig waitall; /sbin/ifconfig pflog0 create; /usr/local/bin/pfloggerd

I get the following:

[1]+ Segmentation fault: 11 /usr/local/bin/pfloggerd
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Operation not permitted
Segmentation fault: 11

THoughts?

jewettg

Post by jewettg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm

My config (if helpful):
OS X 10.13.6
32 GB of RAM
3.4 GHz Intel i5

hany

Post by hany » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 pm

jewettg wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm
SO I launched it manually, sudo /usr/sbin/ipconfig waitall; /sbin/ifconfig pflog0 create; /usr/local/bin/pfloggerd
pfloggerd must run as root.
you did run it as user :)

jewettg

Post by jewettg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm

@hany.. with version 1.4.19 installed the daemon is running and stable. I am seeing all the result I would expect. Very helpful!
Thank you for your hard work on this product.

*** CASE CLOSED ***