IceFloor to Murus Pro

Murus
jdhelle

IceFloor to Murus Pro

Post by jdhelle » Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 pm

I am currently using IceFloor 2.0.2 and thinking of changing to Murus Pro and need opinions and thoughts on making this move.

I'm thinking Murus is an upgrade, but not sure.

Do I need to remove IceFloor before installing Murus? If not, does Murus bring over any of my custom rules?

Are there any gotcha's out there I need to be aware of?

Does Murus have 'emerging threats protection'?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

hany

Re: IceFloor to Murus Pro

Post by hany » Mon May 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Hello jdhelle

Thank you for being an IceFloor user and for your interest in Murus!
I'm thinking Murus is an upgrade, but not sure.
Actually Murus and IceFloor are both PF front ends but they are really different. Murus is service-centric while IceFloor is group-centric, for example. The whole logic is different. However, being the developer of both IceFloor and Murus, I think I'm not the best one to make this comparison, specially because IceFloor is free while Murus Pro is a commercial software. :)
Do I need to remove IceFloor before installing Murus? If not, does Murus bring over any of my custom rules?
Yes you have to uninstall IceFloor using the in-app button (Help tab) and reboot your Mac before running Murus. They are both frontends for pf and they conflict.
Unfortunately you can't import IceFloor custom rules in Murus Pro, but you can easily add your custom rules in the same way using Murus Pro (using buttons and check boxes or writing your custom rules by hand). PF is the same so rule syntax is the same.
Are there any gotcha's out there I need to be aware of?
well... not really, maybe you can have a look at Murus manual, it may help you at the beginning.
Does Murus have 'emerging threats protection'?
Yes sir :) even Murus Lite, the free Murus edition, has emerging threats protection. You can leave default settings or change the URL and/or update time.

Probably the best thing you can do is to temporary uninstall IceFloor (do backups), then download and install the free Murus Lite. You can't add custom rules in Murus Lite, but you can test it to see how it works before buying it.