Custom firewall presets

Murus
basicmonkey

Custom firewall presets

Post by basicmonkey » Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 pm

I use my laptop in a variety of network locations and it would be great to have easily recallable firewall presets. Can there be a way of saving configurations to Murus without having to import and export each time?

Also, there appears to be a bug that turns off Yosemite dark mode for whatever space Murus is on.

hany

Re: Custom firewall presets

Post by hany » Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I use my laptop in a variety of network locations and it would be great to have easily recallable firewall presets. Can there be a way of saving configurations to Murus without having to import and export each time?
location awareness is a very interesting feature, we are going to add it in a future release
Also, there appears to be a bug that turns off Yosemite dark mode for whatever space Murus is on.
this is a known bug, we are working on it ;)

basicmonkey

Post by basicmonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks for your reply Hany, that's great news.

I can confirm that dark mode issue has gone in 1.2.

Another feature request, something not firewall related but is location related:

I regularly work in locations where I need OS X to send multiple subnets via one gateway and the rest via a default. For instance, on site, I may have 2.0.0.0/8 and 10.0.0.0/8 going via a gateway on 10. on ethernet, and then want everything else via wifi. To achieve this, I put wifi at the bottom of the list in network prefs then add some routes in terminal (often via script). It would be great to have a GUI, hopefully integrated in Murus along with your location aware profiles, that adds these custom routes as required and makes them easy to manage.

Cheers,

James

hany

Post by hany » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Thank you James :)
I can confirm that dark mode issue has gone in 1.2
That's great :) It was really an annoying and weird bug.
I regularly work in locations where I need OS X to send multiple subnets via one gateway and the rest via a default. For instance, on site, I may have 2.0.0.0/8 and 10.0.0.0/8 going via a gateway on 10. on ethernet, and then want everything else via wifi. To achieve this, I put wifi at the bottom of the list in network prefs then add some routes in terminal (often via script). It would be great to have a GUI, hopefully integrated in Murus along with your location aware profiles, that adds these custom routes as required and makes them easy to manage.
We are (slowly) working at a companion app for Murus. This app will allow to configure some built-in OS X service, some third party services and some network settings including static routes. At this stage this is an independent app, not part of Murus, and is already working on our labs. However it is not ready for public testing.
Implementing location awareness will require us to completely redesign Murus so we are not sure whether to release this companion app, and when. Stay tuned :)

basicmonkey

Post by basicmonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Even just some presets would be great. So one could save an entire configuration to a 'snapshot' or 'preset' and recall that. Just a bit quicker than exporting and importing every time.

Thanks Hany!

hany

Post by hany » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Even just some presets would be great. So one could save an entire configuration to a 'snapshot' or 'preset' and recall that. Just a bit quicker than exporting and importing every time.
Done :)

see the upcoming Murus 1.3 public beta 1.
I hope you like it.

basicmonkey

Post by basicmonkey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Great, thank you! Will have a look soon.