Internet completely broken, seemingly because of Murus

Murus
slugman

Internet completely broken, seemingly because of Murus

Post by slugman » Tue May 12, 2015 8:25 pm

While using the wizard inside Murus, it locked up and I forced quit the application. Murus then was unable to launch, so I was forced to delete it's .plist file. It then was able to launch but I noticed my internet connect was gone. I have not been able to get it back in any way shape or form since. It's not a hardware issue either, I'm dual booted with Windows 7 and the internet works there.

Any ideas?

I have tried the following, all have failed:
Uninstalled Murus
Reboot (many times)
Power cycled router/modem (internet still works on all other machines)
Wired connection
Other wifi networks
Other browsers
Network Diagnostics could not find a problem
"Renew DHCP Lease" in Network Preferences
Connecting while in safe mode
Repair disk permissions
Reset SMC
Reset PRAM
Deleting everything in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and rebooting
Re-adding network locations
Resetting Router to factory defaults and re configuring
Reinstalled OS X from recovery

The only thing I haven't tried is a clean install of OS X.

My specs:
OS X 10.10.3
Mac Book Pro 15" Early 2011

hany

Re: Internet completely broken, seemingly because of Murus

Post by hany » Tue May 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Murus cannot in any way turn a Mac in the situation you described.
The only thing that may prevent a Mac from connecting to the Internet (using Murus) is a wrong PF ruleset.
Uninstalling Murus (using the provided Uninstall command in Firewall menu) disables PF, so this is for sure enough to restore a complete access to the network on all interfaces.
You can check if PF is effectively turned off by issuing this shell command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo pfctl -si
in order to issue this shell command you must be logged in as administrator and provide your password (it will not echo).
This will display a lot of information. Relevant information is at the very beginning, displaying the PF "Status". If you uninstalled Murus and rebooted, the status should be "disabled". If it is disabled then your network connectivity is not affected by PF (and Murus).
Murus does not interfere with networking and network settings in any way apart from creating (and deleting) the PF ruleset and enabling (or disabling) PF.

slugman

Post by slugman » Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 pm

I suspected that would be the case. I tried what you said and the Status is indeed "Disabled".

This eliminates yet another culprit, but unfortunately does not solve my problem. Thank you very much for the help though!

hany

Post by hany » Wed May 13, 2015 10:43 am

You should check carefully your OS X network settings, like IP address, subnet and DNS.
The first thing to understand is if it's a routing problem or a dns problem. Check using terminal if your OS X is able to "see" other hosts in the LAN and the router. See if changing IP address solves the issue. Reboot routers and switches. I hope you'll be able to solve this problem asap :)