Environment detection (feature request) and emerging threats

Murus
Strayer

Environment detection (feature request) and emerging threats

Post by Strayer » Fri May 22, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

I discovered Murus today, have been using IceFloor since switching to OS X in 2013. So far, thanks for all your work! I'm now using Murus for inbound port filtering and Little Snitch for application-based rules and everything is working great so far! I have one feature request and one question though.

Feature request:
Automatic rule switching based on the network environment or actual location would be really cool. I want to allow different ports depending on if I'm at home (Dropbox LAN Sync, SMB, Skype, ...) or at work (only Skype) or on the road, like a hotel WiFi (block basically everything). As far as I understand this is not possible at the moment, but this is something I'd gladly pay for. If I have to think about it, some options for detecting the environment would probably the IP and/or MAC address of the default gateway/DNS, other reachable hosts (ping?), etc., but I'm sure you are more proficient in this area :)

The question:
I noticed that you said in another thread that Murus also includes the emerging threats feature. I'm currently using 1.2 beta 2 and couldn't find this - am I blind?

Apart from that, Murus works great! I like the more refined interface, but I'm not really sure where the differences to IceFloor are, except the prettier GUI - maybe I just didn't use more advanced features of IceFloor that may be missing here.
Anyway, if Murus continues to work I'm pretty sure I'll purchase a license, since you definitely deserve some pay for the great tools you provide for free.

hany

Re: Environment detection (feature request) and emerging threats

Post by hany » Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Hello Strayer!
Feature request:
Automatic rule switching based on the network environment or actual location would be really cool. I want to allow different ports depending on if I'm at home (Dropbox LAN Sync, SMB, Skype, ...) or at work (only Skype) or on the road, like a hotel WiFi (block basically everything). As far as I understand this is not possible at the moment, but this is something I'd gladly pay for. If I have to think about it, some options for detecting the environment would probably the IP and/or MAC address of the default gateway/DNS, other reachable hosts (ping?), etc., but I'm sure you are more proficient in this area :)
I agree with you. Location Awareness (in Apple gergon) is one of the next major features we are going to add to Murus. Unfortunately, according to our roadmap, this feature will be added at the and of the year, not now.
The question:
I noticed that you said in another thread that Murus also includes the emerging threats feature. I'm currently using 1.2 beta 2 and couldn't find this - am I blind?
No, you are not blind :) We gave this thing a new name, being Emerging Threats a trade mark. Look at Murus Preferences -> Proactivity -> third option on the bottom. Default URL is the same as IceFloor, but you can change it if you want.
Apart from that, Murus works great! I like the more refined interface, but I'm not really sure where the differences to IceFloor are, except the prettier GUI - maybe I just didn't use more advanced features of IceFloor that may be missing here.
Thank you! :) Actually Murus and IceFloor are very different. The former is service-centric while the latter is group-centric. Generally speaking IceFloor has more features but it's more confusing and less flexible. Murus is more friendly and powerful but lacks some key features like bandwidth management. Obviously we are working on it. Our internal Murus build already has all IceFloor features and probably some more :)