Feature requests and misc comments.

Murus
NEO1

Feature requests and misc comments.

Post by NEO1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:02 am

Hello

Been using Murus for a while now and love it. So much that I'll deploy it at more computers. =) There's a few things that I think could be improved though and here's a list of random things that I'll stumbled over. =)

Realtime log
  • Filter options. Filter on IP, port and whatever. Just a filter input field and it should take boleans.
  • Check what app a port originates from. What app that initiated the connection.
  • Sort on the different columns, ascending and descending.
Murus
  • When you add an ip to blocked clients it seems like you have to press play in murus again to start it with new settings. This isn't obvious. Setting for auto-start on change or indicate with color on play button that it's not refreshed with latest settings
  • You should be able to double click a group to open it.
  • When adding ip's in groups, for instance the blocked group, the list with IP's should be filterable and sortable. Now it's just a long long list that's hard to get an overview over.
  • When adding IP in a group, the + and x are too close to each other and a bit to similar. Preferably add would be green and remove red.
  • Unmanged ports. List what app that triggered the port/connection.
Inbound/outbound blocked/passed connections
  • One thing that's striking is how the different modules feels so disconnected to each other.
  • Not sure what the port list to the left has for function. Clicking there does not filter on those ports.
Logs statistics
  • Filter function that takes booleans so you can for instance take out internal IP's from the result. Probably usable at other places thatn the log statistics as well.
For all apps
  • Better management of updates across the board. Display update in app and just a simple "upgrade". Preferably a control panel or option that handles all your murus app's so you don't have to look in each of them individually.
  • As soon as an IP is presented in a list, in all various panels and, you should be able to right click it and perform actions. Like "Add to blocked client", "create statistics on specific ip" and more. Should be able to select multiple IP's.

hany

Re: Feature requests and misc comments.

Post by hany » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi NEO1, wow this is the kind of review we love :) Thank you!
So I'll answer inline:

Realtime log
Filter options. Filter on IP, port and whatever. Just a filter input field and it should take boleans.
nice idea for next major release
Check what app a port originates from. What app that initiated the connection.
this is not possible unfortunately, because pf works at network level only, and is unable to identify which app has originated a connection.
Sort on the different columns, ascending and descending.
I'm not sure about this... for sure it can be done, but I think Realtime Logs is not the right place to do it.

Murus
When you add an ip to blocked clients it seems like you have to press play in murus again to start it with new settings. This isn't obvious. Setting for auto-start on change or indicate with color on play button that it's not refreshed with latest settings
True. However auto-start is absolutely not an option, while we will for sure add some graphic element to the PLAY button in order to indicate that current ruleset has been modified and needs a PF reload. I agree with you this is mandatory.
You should be able to double click a group to open it.
As you can see, all Murus objects follow the same control pattern. Services, Groups, Nat groups, Interfaces, Rules, Pipes, Queues has a Magnifier button to display it's parameters/contents. The feature you are suggesting should be enabled for all these objects, not only groups. At early Murus development stage this was not possible (maybe an xcode bug?) but now we can see and test this feature. For sure a double click is easier and quicker than pointing the small magnifier button, I do agree :)

When adding ip's in groups, for instance the blocked group, the list with IP's should be filterable and sortable. Now it's just a long long list that's hard to get an overview over.
not a killer feature, but it can be done. I usually put very few ips in my groups so I never felt the need for such function, but I understand that it can be useful.

When adding IP in a group, the + and x are too close to each other and a bit to similar. Preferably add would be green and remove red.
We may try to find a better graphical solution but we must respect our design guidelines :)
To add something we use "+" or "small gear popup button" and to remove something we use "x", this is done in every Murus and companion apps' panel/window. Probably we will find better places for the 2 buttons. Or, better, we can put the "x" button within the list. Let's see :)

Unmanged ports. List what app that triggered the port/connection.
Unlike your previous similar request (ragarding logs-apps), this can probably be done because the Murus Unmanaged Ports system is basically a lsof wrapper (/usr/sbin/lsof, man lsof for more) which itself is aware of which process is listening on a specific port. So yes, we will add this feature in a next release (not necessarily a major release)

Inbound/outbound blocked/passed connections
One thing that's striking is how the different modules feels so disconnected to each other.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about :) Is it the inbound/outbound managed services? Or is it the unmanaged ports panel?
Which modules?
Not sure what the port list to the left has for function. Clicking there does not filter on those ports.
Again: which "port list to the left" :) please explain :)

Logs statistics
Filter function that takes booleans so you can for instance take out internal IP's from the result. Probably usable at other places thatn the log statistics as well.
This was in our TO-DO list since day one, but honestly we did not care too much about Murus Logs Visualizer since its first release, because we focused only on Murus and other companion apps. There's room for big enhancements in Murus Logs Visualizer. We plan to introduce various levels of interaction with Murus, as well as improving current features, including Statistics, including filters :)

For all apps
Better management of updates across the board. Display update in app and just a simple "upgrade". Preferably a control panel or option that handles all your murus app's so you don't have to look in each of them individually.
We will definitely find a better way to deal with updates. The Murus family is currently made of 4 members, and they will soon become 5. I think we will create a standalone updater app.

As soon as an IP is presented in a list, in all various panels and, you should be able to right click it and perform actions. Like "Add to blocked client", "create statistics on specific ip" and more. Should be able to select multiple IP's.
This is the kind of interaction we'd love to add. You'll something like this, in the future.

Again, thank you for your report :)

NEO1

Post by NEO1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Bit late reply from me... Thanks for your comment. I'll add some more comments for where it feels required.

hany wrote:
When adding ip's in groups, for instance the blocked group, the list with IP's should be filterable and sortable. Now it's just a long long list that's hard to get an overview over.
not a killer feature, but it can be done. I usually put very few ips in my groups so I never felt the need for such function, but I understand that it can be useful.
A bit overkill maybe but I've always look through my logs and add all IP's that try to RDP or VNC in to blocked clients. So my blocked clients list is really long and since I can't sort it nor filter it it's hard to see if a specific IP is in the list. In the case of you y accident added one that shouldn't be blocked. That's a real life example of when it's useful.

hany wrote:Inbound/outbound blocked/passed connections
One thing that's striking is how the different modules feels so disconnected to each other.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about :) Is it the inbound/outbound managed services? Or is it the unmanaged ports panel?
Which modules?
Yes, not that good described. I mean the Murus main app and the logs visualizer. And all the modules/windows of the logs visualizer feels very disconnected to each other instead of living in the same app/window. It feels a bit "un-smooth" and not as accessible as one could wish. Don't get me wrong though, all these modules/apps are very good but I sort of miss that they're not have a more centralized look and feel.

hany wrote:
Not sure what the port list to the left has for function. Clicking there does not filter on those ports.
Again: which "port list to the left" :) please explain :)
Honestly at first I couldn't figure out what I meant. =) Open 'inbound blocked connections' for instance. At the left of that window you have the list of ports where connections have been blocked. Clicking a port in this list does not filter the IP's in the right part of the window. Which to me is the logical thing to happen.

cheers

hany

Post by hany » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Yes, not that good described. I mean the Murus main app and the logs visualizer. And all the modules/windows of the logs visualizer feels very disconnected to each other instead of living in the same app/window. It feels a bit "un-smooth" and not as accessible as one could wish. Don't get me wrong though, all these modules/apps are very good but I sort of miss that they're not have a more centralized look and feel.
Centralization will be the first goal for Murus 2. :) Everything will be probably managed by a single menulet in OS X menu bar.

Honestly at first I couldn't figure out what I meant. =) Open 'inbound blocked connections' for instance. At the left of that window you have the list of ports where connections have been blocked. Clicking a port in this list does not filter the IP's in the right part of the window. Which to me is the logical thing to happen.
"Inbound Blocked Connections" panel in Murus Logs Visualizer purpose is to list ports and addresses. The two main columns lists all ports and all addresses. The user sees these columns populating in real time. Then you can filter both ports and addresses:
- select a port, then click the "Statistics" button and you will see all addresses related to this port. You can export the list or pass it to Murus to add these addresses to a new or an existing Murus Group.
- select an address in "Inbound Blocked Connections" panel's right column, then click the "Statistics" button to display all ports related to the selected address.

See these screenshots: