Murus blocking 3478 despite rules allowing it, and no rules blocking it.

Murus
monodemono

Murus blocking 3478 despite rules allowing it, and no rules blocking it.

Post by monodemono » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 am

Hey guys, so like the topic says, it's blocking 3478 no matter what I do.

I know this because the log visualizer says so.
My entire ruleset there's no rule blocking this port.
I've tried adding rules to allow it.
No matter what I try, it just keeps blocking it.

Information about my setup:
cable modem -> Mac Pro tower(192.168.2.1) > switch

Murus handling NAT and firewalling for my network.

In the switch I have my game consoles, among other things, and right now I'm trying to get NAT Type-2 (unrestricted) on my PS4 for online play. Well I couldn't figure out why no matter what I did it still kept saying it was Type-3 (restricted), so I opened the log visualizer, and ran the network connection test on the console again, and I noticed that it's blocking packets coming in to port 3478, going to 192.168.2.3 (my PS4).

I've tried quick rules, pass rules, custom rules, redirect rules, redirect pass rules, nothing I do is working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance. Sorry if I left out any important or necessary information.

And just incase anyone is wondering, 192.168.2.2 is my Macbook Pro.

hany

Re: Murus blocking 3478 despite rules allowing it, and no rules blocking it.

Post by hany » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:08 pm

I think you don't need custom rules for that purpose. You just have to create a custom service including all ports needed to your PS4, then assign this service to inbound managed services, then select it and click the magnifier option to set its rules, check the "Forward service to NAT client" option and put your PS4 ip address, leaving the port field empty.
I advice you to start from a clean default Murus configuration, then enable nat for all your lan, then create this custom service for your PS4, and test it.

monodemono

Post by monodemono » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:03 pm

I tried custom rules because custom services weren't working. Custom rules weren't working either though. I've been able to open and forward ports for other things using services properly, and that all works fine. Nothing will pass port 3478 though, no matter what I do.

hany

Post by hany » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Ok probably there is a misunderstanding here. If you set Murus correctly AND if your provider is not blocking it then port 3478 is not blocked. However your PS4 is reporting it as blocked because it cannot find any STUN server. With Murus you can only do a static NAT, while your PS4 is expecting a STUN server which is a sort of dynamic NAT. More info about STUN here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN
I don't have any PS4 here so I can't try it, but I think you can try to forward ALL SERVICES to your PS4. Your PS4 will still report the port 3478 issue, but it should work being public.

monodemono

Post by monodemono » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:29 pm

The PS4 doesn't specify which port is blocked, but the MURUS LOG VISUALIZER tells me 3478 is being blocked every time I run the connection test.

monodemono

Post by monodemono » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am

So to reiterate...

1. I open Murus Log Visualizer
2. I select "Test Internet Connection" on my PS4
3. Murus Log Visualizer shows 3478 is being blocked for 192.168.2.3 (my PS4)

I have tried setting the port as a service (like I've done with everything else, because this is the right way to do it, I know how to use Murus). This did not work.

I have tried creating a custom rule. This did not work.

Again, one last time, so it's really clear.

Murus Log Visualizer is telling me Murus is blocking packets on port 3478, despite me telling it to pass packets on that port in a variety of different ways.