Couple of questions about Murus

Murus
Jyin

Couple of questions about Murus

Post by Jyin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:36 am

Before I go out and get the hardware and software, I would like to know if what I need to do is possible with Mac Mini (I have a friend who's willing to let go his mid-2011 i5 2.3GHz with 4G of RAM) with TB-EN adaptor, and Murus.

I would like the mini to replace adtrap (http://www.getadtrap.com/) which recently died, and pfSense, which failed to perform in VirtualBox and Parallels in term of throughput.

Question 1:
Can Murus be used to configure PF on OS X to be a stand-alone firewall for whole network?
In other words, I would like to install the Mac Mini between my cable modem and AirPort Extreme.

Question 2:
Can Murus be used to configure PF to block ads?
Preferably some sort of external block-list to be used so I don't have to hunt down each and every ad servers.
Also, anyone have recommendation on such list?

Question 3:
What sort of performance can I expect out of Mac Mini?
My down-stream is 150Mb. So not like it needs to be very fast. But the virtualized pfSense was unable to keep up.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Jyin

hany

Re: Couple of questions about Murus

Post by hany » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Sorry for the late answer.
Question 1:
Can Murus be used to configure PF on OS X to be a stand-alone firewall for whole network?
In other words, I would like to install the Mac Mini between my cable modem and AirPort Extreme.
Yes.
Question 2:
Can Murus be used to configure PF to block ads?
Preferably some sort of external block-list to be used so I don't have to hunt down each and every ad servers.
Also, anyone have recommendation on such list?
Yes you can block ads at network level using Murus. There are several ways to do it. The best way is to create groups for these lists and put them in black list.
Question 3:
What sort of performance can I expect out of Mac Mini?
My down-stream is 150Mb. So not like it needs to be very fast. But the virtualized pfSense was unable to keep up.
It depends on the number of NAT clients and connections, I can't really help you on that. For large networks or best performance I would choose to run PF on OpenBSD not OS X.