Murus crash - Fix murus

Murus
oizo123

Murus crash - Fix murus

Post by oizo123 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:26 am

When I started murus basic on my my macbookpro it crashed after I typed in my admin password.

I started it again and was presented with a dialog that told me to fix murus, which I did. When murus started it was reset and all my configurations were gone.

I had exported my murus config a while back but not the final configuration, so I have to redo everything.

What does the "cmd+s" command do? It would be nice if, in addition to being able to save different configs, cmd+s would save one that would be brought back if "fix murus" is pressed.

//Sebastian

hany

Re: Murus crash - Fix murus

Post by hany » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 pm

When I started murus basic on my my macbookpro it crashed after I typed in my admin password.
which Murus version? 1.3.6 or 1.4 beta?
I started it again and was presented with a dialog that told me to fix murus, which I did. When murus started it was reset and all my configurations were gone.
Fixing Murus actually means to restore its default configuration loosing the old one.
Please, next time it happens, if you think this is a Murus bug then send us your configuration file /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist before "fixing" Murus. Thanks :) This is specially important if you are using Murus 1.4 beta.
I had exported my murus config a while back but not the final configuration, so I have to redo everything.
I'm sorry about that :)
I advice you to use Murus Custom Presets instead of exporting configuration to file.
What does the "cmd+s" command do?
it saves current runtime Murus configuration to configuration file stored in /Library/Preferences/it.murus.muruslibrary.plist. The same thing happens when you quit Murus. This is the file Murus reads when it opens.
cmd+s would save one that would be brought back if "fix murus" is pressed.
it's somehow dangerous, fixing Murus using a user-generated ruleset may be worst then you imagine :)

oizo123

Post by oizo123 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi!

It's version 1.3.6

I am definitely going to use the custom presets in the future. Perhaps a function to save to the loaded preset instead of having to create a new preset every time?

And of course, fix murus should still restore the default config. It was my frustration that proposed the other solution =)

//sebastian

hany

Post by hany » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Perhaps a function to save to the loaded preset instead of having to create a new preset every time?
apologize for not implementing this feature yet, I recognize it's absolutely boring to delete and restore a custom ruleset every time you need to overwrite it. I promise we will add this feature :) . Unfortunately this will not happen in the upcoming Murus 1.4, because it is somehow "feature freezed" in current beta, we are near to deploy it. Adding this feature now will postpone release date too much. However we will release also a Murus 1.4.1 beta immediately after Murus 1.4 release, so you will be able to test this feature.

P.S.
Vallum has the same issue (among many others). We will fix it too.

P.P.S.
if you were using Murus 1.3.6 before the crash, then probably the reason for the corruption is how you defined ports in some custom service. Please verify to use ONLY numbers, spaces and colons when defining Murus services ports. Also avoid any special character in services and group names. Murus 1.4 has some more strict check over syntax and may prevent such issues, hopefully.

oizo123

Post by oizo123 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 am

Looking forward to 1.4 and 1.4.1b! I'll check my custom services for typos.

//Sebastian