UI Problems

Murus
chrs

UI Problems

Post by chrs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello,

I just bought Murus Pro and I have some problems using the application (OSX 10.11.4):

1. There are no scrollbars available. My setting is always visible.

2. The menubar is translucent contrary to my settings and all other apps.

3. The hilight color is not according to my settings.

While 2. and 3. are cosmetic problem 1. makes the app really hard to use.

I digged around and saw that the whole Murus.app is running as user root. I consider this could be the reason for some problems and i thin that is generally problematic.

hany

Re: UI Problems

Post by hany » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:14 pm

1. There are no scrollbars available.
Services and Groups libraries, managed services, configuration, service rules popover... all the main views do have a scrollbar, it automatically hides if is not needed. Can you please tell me which view lacks the scrollbar?
My setting is always visible
sorry I don't understand what you mean :)
2. The menubar is translucent contrary to my settings and all other apps.
3. The hilight color is not according to my settings.
Unfortunately Murus must run as root so it uses root GUI preferences. You can login as root and set GUI settings to match your user's settings.

chrs

Post by chrs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 am

sorry I don't understand what you mean :)
Sorry I should have been more precise.
I mean these settings: System Preferences / General / Show Scroll bars is set to "always" on my machine.

The scroll bars are missing in every view and they don't show up if the mouse cursors hovers above the scroll bar region.

But I found a way to make them work:

Code: Select all

sudo defaults write -g AppleShowScrollBars -string "Always"
The other problems can be fixed the same way, for example:

Code: Select all

sudo defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -int 0

sudo defaults write -g AppleHighlightColor -string "1.000000 0.874510 0.701961"

sudo defaults write com.apple.universalaccess reduceTransparency -bool true
Logging in as root is not necessary, I think.

hany

Post by hany » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm

I mean these settings: System Preferences / General / Show Scroll bars is set to "always" on my machine.
I may be wrong, but I think these are user-level settings. So root user used by Murus may have different settings from what you see in your user's preferences.
The scroll bars are missing in every view and they don't show up if the mouse cursors hovers above the scroll bar region.
this is really strange :) I mean, on a default OS X 10.11 install, it does show scroll bars on views that needs it. Of course if the view does not need a scrollbar then this is hidden, and rolling over won't make it appear, this is an expected behavior. But, as far as I understand, you are saying that the scrollbar is missing in all views? even in services library? That's strange. It should not happen. Well, it does not happen on none of our test Macs, whatever option we set. What OS X version are you using?
sudo defaults write -g AppleShowScrollBars -string "Always"
I did the same but Murus does not seem to change on my Macs. It displays scrollbars whatever option I choose. Funny :)
Please tell me something more about your overall configuration :) Thanks!

chrs

Post by chrs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:46 pm

I may be wrong, but I think these are user-level settings. So root user used by Murus may have different settings from what you see in your user's preferences.
Right, that's what I found out yesterday evening. Doing sudo default ... solves that problem and let's you set preferences for root.
But, as far as I understand, you are saying that the scrollbar is missing in all views? even in services library?
Yes, that was the problem. There were at least two "pages" to scroll down available in library view.
Please tell me something more about your overall configuration
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz 2011 I am preparing to use as a server / router in a SOHO setup. Clean install 10.11.4 from the app store and Server 5 from the app store and Murus. There is no mouse or keyboard connected and no real screen only a fake HMDI plug to make the GPU work. The Mac is controlled via Apple Remote desktop on LAN ethernet port; WAN is an Apple USB ethernet adapter. That's it I believe.

Hope this helps :)

hany

Post by hany » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Hope this helps :)
It does!! A lot!! :)
There is no mouse or keyboard connected and no real screen only a fake HMDI plug to make the GPU work. The Mac is controlled via Apple Remote desktop
This is the interesting part.
Long story short, I think next Murus version MUST set the "Always" scrollbar option for root user by default, every time app starts. Not nice, but needed. At least, this is needed for all "headless" Macs like yours. I don't think setting this root preference could have any issue for normal people, and even users who do log in with the root account. They should not have any problem if Murus sets this parameter to "Always".
What do you think?

chrs

Post by chrs » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Murus version MUST set the "Always" scrollbar option for root user by default, every time app starts. Not nice, but needed.
I agree. Running a GUI app as root is always a bit problematic but if you must run as root, it appears to be the best solution. For me it works without problems now.

Thanks for your support. 8-)