Do we leave the apple firewall off permanently ?

Murus
robryecran

Do we leave the apple firewall off permanently ?

Post by robryecran » Fri May 06, 2016 3:27 am

Hi I wanted to know if we need to leave the apple firewall off before we install murus and should we continue to leave off the standard apple firewall during use of murus ?

I also wanted to know if we need to leave the apple firewall off before we install vallum and should we continue to leave off the standard apple firewall during use of vallum ?

Does it matter which app you install first ie : murus, murus injector, murus menulet, murus knocker, murus services, vallum ?

hany

Re: Do we leave the apple firewall off permanently ?

Post by hany » Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi I wanted to know if we need to leave the apple firewall off before we install murus and should we continue to leave off the standard apple firewall during use of murus ?
using Murus you can leave the ALF firewall on if you need it, or just switch it off and on as you wish.
I also wanted to know if we need to leave the apple firewall off before we install vallum and should we continue to leave off the standard apple firewall during use of vallum ?
you must turn the ALF firewall off using Vallum. You have also to uninstall all third party kext-based firewalls like hands off, tcp block, radio silence and little snitch. You can't use ALF while using Vallum. Well, technically you can switch it on, but it may cause problems.
Does it matter which app you install first ie : murus, murus injector, murus menulet, murus knocker, murus services, vallum ?
No.
However you forgot Murus Logs Visualizer :D
It's better to install and run Murus Logs Visualizer after you installed Murus and configured the logging system, installed boot scritps and rebooted. This is only to avoid confusion, as Murus Logs Visualizer will show nothing if Murus has not been able to store logs.