Use exported config on multiple computers?

Murus
jimbirk

Use exported config on multiple computers?

Post by jimbirk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me if this question is answered in other places.

I have three Mac OS X (El Capitan) computers running on different networks (they are NOT running Mac OS Server, just plain Mac OS), and I would like to apply the same basic config from one of them to the others. Is there an easy way to do this? I was thinking of importing an exported config from one computer on the others as a starting point.

I understand that, since the computers are on different networks that some of the IP addresses contained in the exported config file are problematic, but it would be great if I could, somehow, use the existing config as a template. Would manually editing IP address info contained in the exported config file before importing the config to the other computers do the trick for problematic IP info? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Jim

hany

Re: Use exported config on multiple computers?

Post by hany » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

I have three Mac OS X (El Capitan) computers running on different networks (they are NOT running Mac OS Server, just plain Mac OS), and I would like to apply the same basic config from one of them to the others. Is there an easy way to do this? I was thinking of importing an exported config from one computer on the others as a starting point.
If you install Murus on all Macs and you want to use Murus to tweak PF configuration then exporting/importing is the best way to share a Murus conf.
I understand that, since the computers are on different networks that some of the IP addresses contained in the exported config file are problematic
IP addresses contained in configuration can be changed after conf is imported, this is not an issue. You have to take care of how these addresses are used. Then you have to take care about network interfaces, as different Macs may used different names. For example wifi is en0 in newer laptops, en1 on imacs and en2 on macpros.

There is also a way to deploy PF configurations using Murus Vials and Injector. If you just need to configure PF on several Macs and you don't need them to run Murus, you just "inject" a PF configuration (a "Vial" created by Murus Pro) into a OS X Mac using Murus Injector. Injected Macs will run your PF configuration at system boot without the need to install and configure (and buy) Murus.