Networking is not functioning at all

Murus
cork

Networking is not functioning at all

Post by cork » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 am

(This might be a repost, I don't know what happened to the first one I posted.)

I was looking for a way to block outgoing connections and thought I'd try Murus and IceFloor (I installed both). The problem is that now my networking is well and truly borked. I can connect to wifi, but I can't reach anything or ping anything either on the Internet or on my home network. (I'm confident that it's not a DNS issue - I've tried pinging by IP address, with the same result) I've removed the boot scripts and PF is stopped, and I've disabled the application firewall but it hasn't made any difference. I'm not seeing anything in the logs for PF or the app firewall, so I don't really know that this is a firewall issue at all, but it's certainly behaving like a firewall issue.

Another thing: the IceFloor menulet starts at boot, even though it's not in any of the startup directories (that I've been able to find). I did remove the Murus updater from one of the startup directories. I don't know what the deal is with that, I'm not as Mac savvy as I could be.

Anyway, I realize that this is all pretty vague but if you could point me in the direction of some kind of method to figure out what's really wrong here. Or just identify some more informative logs than appfirewall.log and pffirewall.log that I'm finding in the console.

hany

Re: Networking is not functioning at all

Post by hany » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:59 pm

I was looking for a way to block outgoing connections and thought I'd try Murus and IceFloor (I installed both). The problem is that now my networking is well and truly borked.
You CANNOT install Murus and IceFloor, as stated in Murus documentation. They simply can't work together. Now you have to uninstall both apps, and you have to do it properly using the provided uninstallers. Please do not try to uninstall them manually or using third party apps as it will not work.
To Uninstall IceFloor you must use the in-app uninstaller. The same applies for Murus, select Uninstall from Murus menu in macOS menu bar.

Then on OS X 10.10 or later you can use Murus Basic or Murus Pro to block outbound connections at network layer and/or Vallum to block outbound connections at application layer.

cork

Post by cork » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Thank you. Let me ask: when it says, "firewall will be reset to factory default," does that really mean factory default or does that mean, "as it was before you installed IceFloor." Because I've now tried uninstalling them, but there's been no change and I'm afraid that I might have done it in the wrong order.

I should also mention that I installed IceFloor twice, because... I don't know why. So I have two instances of that in my Applications directory. One says "IceFloor" and the other says "IceFloor 1.49.57 PM" ... That's a little embarrassing. I started and then uninstalled all three, but the result is the same.

Using OS X 10.11.6

hany

Post by hany » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

I think something strange happened to your Mac :)
Ok don't worry, try to remove all files starting with "it.murus" or "com.hanynet" from /Library/LaunchDaemons directory.
Then reboot. Once done your Mac network should be ok. To verify if PF is enabled or not you can open the Terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo pfctl -si
look at the very top of the (long) output and see if pf is enabled or not. It should be disabled.
Let me know

cork

Post by cork » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Still not working, and:

No ALTQ support in kernel
ALTQ related functions disabled

Well. It's not working, but at least I think that means I can't blame IceFloor or Murus for it. So thanks for answering that for me.

I guess I'll just have to reformat. It seems drastic, but I'm not making any headway on this. Thanks for your help.