VALLUM 1.0 BETA 9

Vallum application firewall
hany

VALLUM 1.0 BETA 9

Postby hany » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:48 am

Vallum 1.0 private beta 9 is available for testing to all Murus Pro users.
This release fixes a lot of bugs and introduces a new view in Apps Window with smaller icons.
As usual, you should uninstall old betas before using this one.

Please read the included manual before using Vallum.

Your feedback is extremely appreciated, here in this forum thread or at info@murus.it, thank you!

Download link:
http://www.murusfirewall.com/downloads/vallum-1.0-privatebeta9.zip

den555

Re: VALLUM 1.0 BETA 9

Postby den555 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello, Hany

Thank You for next great application.

It would be great to add:
Sorting and filtering possibility to App and Exclusions windows
Sorting by name, date of adding to Valium, producer of app,
Filtering by all analytics which You have under i button. Someone would want to filter the apps who are not signed the others want to know which apps are allowed and which rule will be expired.

I don't know is this Valium or Murus function to analyze authentification and count quantity of unsuccessful attempts to defend against brute force attack on application level?

Best wishes. Denis.

yeprhaex

Postby yeprhaex » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:46 am

Hey,
Thanks building Vallum, it's a great app! I've been testing it out for a few weeks - pushing Vallum to it's limits (multiple browsers running - murus visualizer and vallum with both set for maximum logging and notfications) - it crashed a few times. I wouldn't blame the app :ugeek: - I wanted to see what was possible and where potential bottlenecks would be. Too many notifications - with the Vallum window is open - could cause a crash - but I haven't had any problems with the latest beta and it works fine in the background.

One feature I like in little snitch is the ability to see the traffic running in real time - so I'm actually running little snitch (passing everything) just to the traffic - it doesn't seem to effect Vallum - I didn't have little snitch installed when it crashed in earlier betas - but also I haven't turned on any rules in little snitch. It's interesting to watch the traffic / load in little sntich because it shows higher level app and dns - while vallum is more powerful (eg Vallum will might just block 3 ip's on curl while little snitch shows 20 domains on 5 apps).

Vallum is smooth, fast, and simple. Compared with little-snitch - Vallum is more powerful, intuitive, and overall easier to use (and much less annoying). I like the drag / drop interface, and everything is quick to manage and see what's happening - and combined with Murus it's very powerful. Notifications can be weird in dual screen mode (depending on how the displays are aligned) - but I think that's just a weird method OSX notifications. I'm using little snitch to watch traffic (real-time - higher level app based filtering) - but I never want to touch a little-snitch rule set again :D

hany

Postby hany » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:42 pm

yeprhaex,

thank you for your opinions :)
We are happy that you like Vallum. Really.
I see you have underlined some key features of Vallum, I appreciate it, we put a lot of effort in trying to offer the Mac community something different instead of a plain LS clone. We pay a ton of respect to LS, by the way.
We are going to release a new beta with a more polished interface, which will be more familiar to Murus users.
Some weird behavior is still there, like the multi-screen issue and some other glitch.
We also re-introduced connections logs, which were available in the very first betas of Vallum.
Stay tuned we will release it very shortly.

hany

Postby hany » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:49 pm

den555

thanks a lot for your report :)

Sorting and filtering possibility to App and Exclusions windows
Sorting by name, date of adding to Vallum, producer of app,
Filtering by all analytics which You have under i button. Someone would want to filter the apps who are not signed the others want to know which apps are allowed and which rule will be expired.

Sorting is a nice feature for sure, but it is extremely complex to implement inside Vallum, so it will not be there for version 1.0. But we will for sure add it.

I don't know is this Vallum or Murus function to analyze authentification and count quantity of unsuccessful attempts to defend against brute force attack on application level?

Unfortunately this can be done only inside applications, there is no other way. Some app uses a fixed number of connections for each attempt, and this allows network filters like PF to pretend to be a "brute force" protection system (like Murus does), but this is only a trick. It works only with a few old-style daemons. OS X server adaptive firewall relies on "compatible" apps being installed on the system, and only these apps can be protected. There is no way to run a system level process that monitors for failed logins INSIDE normal apps. Some systems use logs in order to intercept login failures (for example fail2ban), but these are tricks too.
As far as I know, there is no commercial operating system that allows to do that, simply because every app has its own way to handle a login.

Return to “Vallum”