Page 1 of 1


Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:33 pm
by hany
We are happy to announce the availability of Vallum 1.0 public beta.
Everybody is welcome to test it. Vallum 1.0 public beta is totally free for everyone. Beta expires May, 1. Final pricing will be disclosed at release time.

Get it here:

Please read the included documentation before using Vallum 1.0 public beta.

Please note:
- Vallum 1.0 public beta requires OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11. Interface is currently optimized for OS X 10.10 and 10.11.
- Vallum GEOIP info system requires the free Murus Lite to be installed. No need to start PF or configure it.
- Interaction with Murus blacklist requires the free Murus Lite to be installed, configured and running.
- Interaction with Murus custom rules requires Murus Basic to be installed, configured and running.


Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:38 pm
by BewlayR

I am a Murus user and have recently been trying out the Vallum Public Beta. I have the following suggestions/observations:

- it would be nice to be able to lock down choices once they have been made (as in Murus), requiring the entry of a password to make any modifications (unless I somehow missed this);
- the log is a little bit confusing as it seems to act more like a monitor --the information only appears for a short while and then disappears. If it is meant to be a log, it would be nice if the information would be stored longer term for consultation. If it is intended to be more of a monitor, then it is not that conveniently located as to be easily consulted (a standalone window, again as in Murus, would be beneficial);
- consideration should be given to showing the firewall status in the menulet (again, as with Murus), without the need to open the app/window.

Just a few thoughts which I hope will prove constructive. I really like the app generally and also its integration with Murus.

Great apps!


Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:25 pm
by simonpercivall

Sorry to not be able to give you a nice log; anyway, here's a bug report:

After my connection slowed down to a crawl, I noticed that the vallumafd process had allocated 29GB of memory (of which 27GB were compressed) and constantly taking 60% CPU. I didn't have notifications or logging active. After force quitting and restarting, it went back to normal.