Logging runs for a while, then mysteriously stops

Murus
jporten

Logging runs for a while, then mysteriously stops

Post by jporten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 am

We are running Murus with no firewalling for the time being, with the idea of collecting insanely detailed logs so we know what to firewall later (at which time, we'll throttle the logs to something sane).

The problem: after a few hours or a few days, all logging stops. Can't find a reason why, and in fact, this happened over Thanksgiving when no human even looked at the server. We are running 10.12.6, so I do not know if the patch published here for 10.12.4 is a good idea.

Help?

jporten

Re: Logging runs for a while, then mysteriously stops

Post by jporten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:38 am

Documenting some additional log weirdness. We had the maximum log settings before we left for Thanksgiving; since then, I've applied hany's edit to pf.conf to increase the number of saved logs to something like 200, but since we're not in the office we haven't rebooted the server yet, and I didn't expect to see them take hold. I have an AppleScript application in the meantime to poll /var/log for new log files ending in .bz2, and we're copying those to a Desktop folder until we can reboot.

Checking /var/log, before the logging stopped the first time on Nov 7, it actually went up to log.29 at one point, and that file was never zipped. But we have more recent files up to log.20, so apparently it rotated up to 29 (20 is in the UI settings) at some point, and then stopped.

In short, I have absolutely no idea what's going on with pf logging. I've stopped and started pf, and it's not logging anything—we have *everything* set to log, inbound and outbound.

hany

Post by hany » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 pm

PF logging on macOS before 10.12 used tcpdump to read and store logs.
Then when macOS 10.12 came out we we were forced to switch to a new logging system because tcpdump on 10.12 is bugged and it does not work.
So Murus on 10.12 uses pfloggerd instead of tcpdump. That may be the reason, probably there is a bug on pfloggerd. We never identified it before.
The weird thing is that it seems that tcpdump is working now on macOS 10.13, so we will probably go back to tcpdump in next Murus versions. We are still unsure about what to do with 10.12.
Please let us make some tests with pfloggerd. But as you can imagine it's not easy to reproduce a bug that occurs "every now and then" :)

jporten

Post by jporten » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 am

Just checking in to see if there's any progress re this problem with 10.12? We've been on hold for Murus implementation for a while, but now kicking into gear. We'll almost certainly skip 10.13 entirely, and *maybe* go to 10.14.1 depending on how Server changes impact us—otherwise we'll be staying here for a while.