It seems Vallum doesn't get confused when I use a VPN

Vallum application firewall
QuantumLeap

It seems Vallum doesn't get confused when I use a VPN

Post by QuantumLeap » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi there,

I was a long time Little Snitch user, and I still am an Objective Development fan from the first hour. But Little Snitch really can't handle VPN's. The Little Snitch network monitor somehow loses all sight over what is happening on my Mac. The total network traffic data counters don't catch VPN traffic, and VPN traffic doesn't get filtered. They claim an Apple bug, and I believe Objective Development there.

So, this is how I found Vallum. The beauty is, even with a VPN active, Vallum logs connections as should. The first website I always visit is macsurfer.com. So, I did use Lookup with WhatRoute to get the IP and searched the logs. Vallum logs both the initial connection by Firefox and the filtering by AdGuard (system-wide ad & tracker blocker). For the record, I'm an ad-free subscriber of MacSurfer; I do support them. I just can't stand pesky ads/trackers anywhere. So, Vallum does solve the riddle, Little Snitch couldn't figure out!

Thank you so much. This alone is worth the price. The interface is geekier than the polished Little Snitch interface. So, I guess the average user would prefer Little Snitch over Vallum. That said, I am a geek, so I don't mind. Vallum is a frontend for the macOS firewall. Maybe that's a smarter approach than trying to build your own firewall.