ANNOUNCING SCUDO, THE FIRST HYBRID FIREWALL APP FOR MAC

Murus
hany

ANNOUNCING SCUDO, THE FIRST HYBRID FIREWALL APP FOR MAC

Post by hany » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Today we are happy to announce the availability of Scudo, a new app for macOS.
Scudo is an alternative to Murus and Vallum. It is aimed at those people who found Murus and Vallum over-complicated or too difficult to use. Scudo is much simpler, much friendlier and compact, it's usage is straightforward. All functions are grouped in a single window divided into two zones: left side for inbound network-layer rules, right side for outbound application-layer rules.
Rules are defined by objects: Services on the left, Apps on the right. A popup button near each object defines its rules.

Scudo does not require configuration or maintenance.
On the left side, Scudo constantly monitors for open ports on your Mac, so you are always aware of which services are running. You choose which services you want to be open to the world, and which not.
On the right side, Scudo constantly monitors for apps connections. If an app tries to connect to the network Scudo pops up a notification alert holding the connections while you choose whether to block or pass it.

Scudo runs automatically at user login but can also be used manually. Run Scudo to enable the firewall, quit scudo to disable it. Scudo works like the macOS system preferences, so you need the administrator password to unlock it before making changes, so it's safe.

Additionally it is possible to create groups and lists, to ban addresses using local or remote blacklists, limit the overall upload and/or download bandwidth, monitor pf states and monitor runtime pf and afw rules.

Scudo 1.0 public beta is available at http://www.murusfirewall.com/scudo

bouscram

Re: ANNOUNCING SCUDO, THE FIRST HYBRID FIREWALL APP FOR MAC

Post by bouscram » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am

Hi. I installed Scudo yesterday, and so far it works fine. This makes me a kind of "returning" user as I used extensively Waterroof long time ago...

The only thing I can suggest for the moment is to add the possibility to define when or at what rate the online blacklist is downloaded.

Also I was wondering what are your commercial plans concerning Scudo when it goes out of beta. Is it too early to tell more ?

bouscram

Post by bouscram » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi. I've been testing it without problem until today where I discovered that I could not connect to any local IP address, except to local shares (on another Mac). I'm pretty sure it was working, but you never know...

I didn't find anything strange in the config, but it is clearly happening. Exiting from Scudo and back doesn't not change anything. But when Scudo is not running, there is no problem, so it is the cause. Any idea ?

kainotes

Post by kainotes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:36 am

Interesting. Your link 404s rn. Can this share internet via static NAT?

hany

Post by hany » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 pm

Sorry for the late answers guys, we have been very busy with afw development.

@bouscram: please contact us at info@murus.it so we can investigate your issue.
@kainotes: static NAT is not currently available in Scudo.

Unfortunately it is too early to disclose information about all final features and commercial plans.

huonfae31

Post by huonfae31 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am

@hany I have many questions: Is Scudo going to replace Murus and/or Vallum? It looks like you are trying to merge them into 1 program with a simpler interface for regular users and eventually drop support for Murus and Vallum. Will finished scudo have every single feature already included in Vallum and Murus?

hany

Post by hany » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:50 am

@huonfae31:

Scudo is NOT going to replace Murus and Vallum.
We are NOT trying to merge them, we are creating a new app with a new philosophy and SOME features taken from Murus and SOME from Vallum.
Finished Scudo version will NOT have every single feature already included in Murus and Vallum. It will have only some. However, due to the fact that Scudo manages in a coherent way BOTH pf and afw, it will have some unique features that Murus and Vallum lack.
These features will be available when Murus 2 and the next Vallum (maybe 3.5?) will be available.
We will always support Murus because we believe users want and need a PURE pf front end.
We will always support Vallum and we will add cool new features to it. For example, Vallum 3.2 beta already features an interactive real-time connections monitor and match-by-signature.